Monday, December 27, 2010

My Wonderful Daughter

Her head and shoulders used to fit in my hand with the rest of her body laying on my forearm.
My little girl, at that moment I knew I would never let anyone keep me from being the best Dad I could be for her. Now she is all grown up with plenty of talent in many aspects of life.

She is musical with a great grasp on the clarinet. She is also very smart with an affinity for Spanish, Earth Science, and many other subjects. Creativity abounds as well with some impressive dabbling in design of clothes, computer related ventures, and writing that I have read over the past few years.

This past Christmas my daughter surprised me with a few presents including a spice rack that I had my eye on for a while but only mentioned once in her presence. The fact that she noticed warmed my heart. I usually do not verbalize many of my practical or impractical objects of desire. So she was listening. I think she picks up on the fact that I lead a somewhat minimalist life so when I want something it is usually practical.

My daughter is absolutely wonderful. She knows I will always be there for her and she is always welcome to come live with me where ever I may reside. Take care of your daughter and raise her right. Give her the room to figure out life on her own but build a good framework of guidelines within which she can flourish. It has worked for me. I love my daughter. She continues to make me proud.

1 comment:

  1. Fathers and Daughters can have a very special bond, but so much of that depends on the Father and it is no easy task. Obviously you have cultivated a special bond. As a daughter I can say this with some expertise, the fact that she is attuned to you is a direct result of your modeling of that with her. Your appreciation of her and all of her talents, abilities, and so on have taught her to be sensitive to those in you (and in others, too). A father is so key in shaping how his daughter relates to the world, it isn't always recognized because the 'mother-child' bond seems to eclipse that 'father-child' bond in conversations, research, and the like. A father is THE first and most important male relationship his daughter will ever have (and I don't mean 'aside from the husband' either), and it comes with great responsibility. You seemed to understand that from the moment you held her. She is a lucky girl :) and I know what you would say to that "I'm a lucky dad.." :)

    I hope you don't mind me commenting, I was just very touched by what I read.

    ReplyDelete