Saturday, December 4, 2010

In the Presence of Greatness

Tyler Silberberg Columbia Flier/Howard County Times 
boys Golfer of the Year. (Staff photo by Matt Roth of explorehoward.com)
Stepping through the door of my oldest sister's Maryland townhouse in the late nineties, I was excited the see my second nephew for the second or third time.  He was at that time past the fragile toddler age and starting to really enjoy testing the physical limits of his body.  He and his older brother decided that their new favorite game to play with uncle Kyle was to wrestle and jump on him as if he was human jungle gym.  Both of my nephews are really incredible human beings.  Blake, the older brother, used his intellect to prevent hurting himself or his uncle. Tyler, the younger brother, just stepped on the gas sort of speak.  He would slam himself right into me with no thought of the impact on me or himself.  My original thought was this kid is going to be a professional football player.  I did not really want to promote that idea at such a young age for knowing his very intelligent parents, it would be better if like my daughter, my nephews pursued careers or endeavors that challenged their minds more than their bodies.  I did think I was in the presence of future greatness at whatever this child, now teenager, decided to do.

It turns out I was not too far off.  This kid is now a budding amateur golfer as a young adult and is rapidly reaching for and attaining greatness.  At a recent family get together at my parents house in New England, he was very astute, poised, and full of eagerness for the game of golf.  He was invited to play at local golf courses during our family visit and did a great job of balancing the social activities of that event and his desire for some green time during that week.

I see children, young adults, and even adult friends with a talent for sports and other activities, but there is something special or different with this young man.  Not only does he seem to have the talent but there is this cerebral energy and simultaneous stoicism in his mannerisms.  Watching him drive golf balls at a driving range one day told me this kid is all business but the same time he really seems to enjoy himself and keep himself grounded.  To me those are the ingredients of a champion.  I am not a golf expert nor did I even watch the game in the past.  That will change now that my nephew is a rising golf star.

Tyler led his golf team at his high school as a freshman and now as a sophomore, he is Howard County, Maryland's top golfer.  His prowess on the golf course sends chills up my spine.  I recently told a complete stranger who mentioned she was just learning the game of golf and loves it that my nephew will be a top professional golfer some day.  I just get that sense.  Follow these links to learn more about this exceptional young man and the game of golf he loves.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Kyle for that wonderful, intuitive perspective. It's beautifully written from the heart and that means the world to me!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelley, it is from the heart and thank your for the compliment. I love all of you guys too.

    ReplyDelete